Are you about to have plastic surgery? If so, you’ll want to spend some time getting ready. Preparation is vital when planning on having a Breast Enhancement or Body Contouring procedure. We understand how important it is for you to feel safe and well-informed while you wait the big day, so read on as we lay out everything you need to know about our pre-op protocol!
A month before surgery:
- You must have lab work done within 30 days of your surgery, and you must get a medical clearance from your primary care provider.
- You should stop all estrogen-based products 30 days prior to the surgery date.
3 weeks before surgery:
- You should stop smoking, using a nicotine patch, chewing nicotine gum, or using any
- other tobacco product for at least three weeks before surgery.
- Stay away from other people who are smoking.
- Do not use any nasal spray or allergy medications three weeks prior to surgery.
- Please ask before taking any medications.
2 weeks before surgery:
- Do not take aspirin or aspirin-containing products for two weeks before and after surgery.
- Please discontinue all herbal medications.
- Do not take diet pills for two weeks prior to surgery.
A week before surgery:
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages for at least a week before and after surgery.
- If you become sick with any virus, sore throat, temperature (fever), or cough, notify your surgeon prior to coming to the office. Also, ensure you have discussed this with the Anesthesiologist in your pre-op appointment if symptoms are still present. If you have any of these symptoms, your surgery will be canceled.
The day of plastic surgery:
- Do not eat or drink anything, not even water, after midnight the night before your surgery. The last meal should be 12 hours prior to surgery. No gum, candy, mints, or coffee on the morning of surgery.
- Take two showers with anti-bacterial soap, one the night before surgery and one in the morning.
- Thoroughly clean the areas of the body to be operated on for ten minutes in each shower, especially under the arms for breast surgery and groin areas for body surgery.
- Do not use lotions, perfume, or powder after showering.
- Do not use creams, lotions, hair gels, sprays, perfumes, powder, or deodorant on your skin, hair, or face.
- Wear no make-up or lip gloss.
- Remove all jewelry and leave valuable items at home (wallet, watches, cell phone, and jewelry).
- Remove contact lenses.
- Remove acrylic, gel, and nail polish and cut them on both hands.
- The denture must be removed prior to going to the operating room unless approved by Anesthesia the previous day. Bring a denture cup.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothes. Bring a robe after surgery, wear cotton socks and comfortable shoes if possible, and wear slippers.
- Bring a companion. You won’t be allowed to drive after outpatient surgery. Plan to have someone take you home.
- Your surgeon will tell you whether you should take any medications on the day of the procedure.
You’re excited! You’re getting ever closer to having your dream body! But remember: the perfect result comes not only from the surgery but also from proper preparation and meticulous aftercare.
So, keep an eye on this checklist, and don´t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.